It is far easier to surge protect raw power than any data circuit.

I'm not saying I wouldn't deploy something less than my ideal, but someone's
gotta keep beating the manufacturers until they do it.

----- Original Message -----

From: "George Skorup" <geo...@cbcast.com>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2016 9:35:44 AM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] DC tower cable bundle

But you still have to power the radio, so there's still potential for surge
damage. Yes, a more weak point is always going to be a copper ethernet PHY.
However, I will say that our loss rate at towers has significantly gone down
after moving to DC UPS's, fuses (PacketFlux solid-state even better) and better
surge suppressors. Would I like to completely get rid of POE, absolutely.

I completely support Mike's call for SFPs. Problem is, most vendors still view
that as a way to make more money. They hold it over our heads claiming the
carrier grade argument. While others claiming carrier grade are nowhere near
"carrier grade". And some even make you buy a license key to use the slot(s).