Well, 2b is churches can be as political as they want, but not with tax exempt
status.  (true of all non profits, religious or not)

And actually churches not being political means not directly supporting
candidates or parties, they can (and do) take positions on government policies
without jeopardizing their status as nonprofits.

Some congregations may want their church to be political, some may not.

Having once lived in Latin America, I observed (and I think much of the world
is this way), that institutions like the church, the military, and universities
are expected to have a role in the political process.  Universities typically
represent the left, military the right.  I am not Catholic, but welcome input
from the Pope, but consider it just that, input from someone with some moral
authority.  Same with the Dali Lama, hey, I’ll listen.  All this can get
carried away, like when you get Ayatollahs starting wars and issuing fatwas.
And that takes us back to … The Great Satan.