High penetration rate for a small WISP would not necessarily make it more value
to me as a potential purchase.  No room to grow.

From: Brian Webster
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2017 2:41 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Price per sub?

That is why I brought that point up. Most states have broadband adoption rates
between 74 and 77 percent of the homes passed. That is the adoption rate for
all broadband providers combined not any one carrier. Some higher adoption
rates reach 80% and as Chuck mentioned in their particular neighborhoods they
have achieved 84% which is not surprising if you are the first carrier in AND
offer fiber. Their claim of 90% as one carrier in the face of competition is
suspect as to what they think penetration is to them. I suspect it is the
percentage of leads that come in to them and they close and make that lead a
paying customer.

Knowing the total potential homes passed and comparing that to the number of
subscribers will tell you the WISP’s market penetration rate. Look at the other
competitors in that same area and asses what may be potential for subscriber
growth using the existing infrastructure. It would also be crucial to assess
the potential for the sites to add dedicated PTP radios and be able to sell
dedicated enterprise business connections. Many WISP’s are finding that as a
tremendous growth market without having to do a large footprint expansion, and
these customers are much higher revenue with less customer support
requirements. It’s a different business model and sales mentality but for many
WISP’s it’s a fairly easy overlay on their existing market area. If the WISP
does not already have a coverage map created you should have one done so that
you can see the true market potential and be able to calculate the homes
passed. It is good to look at that potential compared to the competitive
broadband providers and also look at where there may be overlap to your
network. No sense paying for something you already can cover.

Thank You,

Brian Webster

www.wirelessmapping.com

www.Broadband-Mapping.com