There are numerous things which at utility-scale become more feasible when
storing energy.  Flow batteries are a good example.   Another is storage of
energy via various methods of potential energy such as pumping water to a
reservoir.   Or cracking hydrogen from water and then burning it when you
need it.  Or dozens of other options.

I don't feel that every one of us maintaining our own storage system is
necessarily the most green idea.  Generally as a homeowner I'll end up
buying a solution which may last 5 years and then I have to replace it.
Utilities can afford to buy 20 or 30 year lifetime storage plants.   When
the conversation becomes 'how do we reform the grid so it is now a sharing
and storage system' then we can start talking about useful things with the
grid - and how to pay for it.   The problem is that the concept of what the
grid is is not in line with what it needs to be come.

The other thing you need to realize is that the cost of maintaining the
grid is the same whether you use it or not.  The line to my house costs the
energy company the exact same money to maintain it whether I pull no energy
or a lot of energy.  The sizing of the line is based on peaks, not
consumption.  Just like sizing a wireless network - you have to plan for
worst case and your costs for the transmission lines are set based on that
worst case load.  The problem is that the billing for the transmission
lines has always been set based on usage, not peak load.  Solar is changing
the ratio of demand to usage and in many cases making it worse.  I know of
at least a few homeowners who have moved their home heating to 100%
electric - increasing their demand on the grid during winter, and
offsetting that 100% with solar during the summer months.   The system
needs to be sized for the winter loads - and the costs associated with it
are incurred accordingly.  So those homeowners have increased the cost of
the transmission system by their winter demand, yet are not paying anything
at all to the utility company.  (In the cases I know of the net metering
law permits 100% offset of the energy charges).