So, here's my question (which I would play with on the bench if I was at
home)....

Take a radio (such as a 100 series cambium) that is known to run down to
below 12V....

Put 29Vdc into the circuit.  Add series resistance until the sqrt(4RP) term
reaches zero.   This should be about 14.5vdc.

Now what happens?   I mean in real life, not in the math world.

I'm almost 100% certain this has to do with the whole maximum power
transfer theorem which is discussed in electronics courses.   That is, the
maximum power you can transfer is at the point where the impedance of the
power source matches the impedance of the load.   Since the math states
that the point where the sqrt(4rp) term reaches zero you're at 50% of the
input voltage at the output, then it would lead to the conclusion that the
effective impedance of the power source matches the impedance of the load
since this would result in a 50/50 voltage division at this point.

Since increasing the impedance of the power source beyond this point will
result in a decrease in the power available to the load, it would follow
that a constant power load would no longer work beyond this point - that
is, below the 50/50 point you end up with the load not being able to
extract enough power from the line to work at all.

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 12:35 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:

> This is what I was looking for when I started this quest.
>
> The formula is so simplistic, it almost seems like for the amount of work
> I put into it it should be more complex.
>
> If you cannot see the image, there is the bottom line.
>
> If you have a device that uses a switch mode regulator, which is many
> things these days because the are efficient, cheap and small, you have a
> device that is essentially a constant power load.
>
> If you have to power that constant power load, (like an SM or a VDSL
> ethernet line extender) over wires that have a significant amount of
> resistance, like 1000 feet of 24 gauge twisted pair, there is a lower
> voltage beyond which they will not operate.  (I would say to not exceed
> their input voltage either without zener protection).
>
> That voltage is:
>
> V(supply min) = 2 sqrt(PR)
>
> Where P is the power of the load.
> R is the power wire resistance.
>
> In my case, I need 48.99 volts or more.
>
>


-- 
*Forrest Christian* *CEO**, PacketFlux Technologies, Inc.*
Tel: 406-449-3345 | Address: 3577 Countryside Road, Helena, MT 59602
[email protected] | http://www.packetflux.com
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/fwchristian>  <http://facebook.com/packetflux>
<http://twitter.com/@packetflux>

Reply via email to