We would assume there is no current limiting on the supply and also assume the 
efficiency of the regulator is greater than 90%.  Otherwise this math is not 
going to work.  Actually if you have the power supply impedance you would add 
that to the line resistance and the formula will work.  But if the switch mode 
regulator is only 50% efficient it the formula will not be very accurate.  

The regulators really are that efficient.  Some are in the 95% range.  

In any event, I now have the formula I need to figure out these long loop 
powered applications.  
And Forrest told us why it works.  

From: Bill Prince 
Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2017 5:24 PM
To: [email protected] 
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] So anti-climatic

I'm thinking there are at least two limits coming into play. First is the 
efficiency/design of the regulator in the SM, and the second is the current 
limit of the power supply.


bp
<part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com>

On 3/11/2017 4:19 PM, Chuck McCown wrote:

  Load impedance changes constantly while booting.  It levels out after booted 
up.  The real data I posted yesterday I did exactly that.  I added 8 ohms and 
it quit working down in the 15 volt range.  It was below 11 volts on the SM.  

  So 6 watts/11 volts  =   .545 ohms.  

  From: Forrest Christian (List Account) 
  Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2017 4:50 PM
  To: af 
  Subject: Re: [AFMUG] So anti-climatic

  So, here's my question (which I would play with on the bench if I was at 
home)....


  Take a radio (such as a 100 series cambium) that is known to run down to 
below 12V....


  Put 29Vdc into the circuit.  Add series resistance until the sqrt(4RP) term 
reaches zero.   This should be about 14.5vdc.   


  Now what happens?   I mean in real life, not in the math world.


  I'm almost 100% certain this has to do with the whole maximum power transfer 
theorem which is discussed in electronics courses.   That is, the maximum power 
you can transfer is at the point where the impedance of the power source 
matches the impedance of the load.   Since the math states that the point where 
the sqrt(4rp) term reaches zero you're at 50% of the input voltage at the 
output, then it would lead to the conclusion that the effective impedance of 
the power source matches the impedance of the load since this would result in a 
50/50 voltage division at this point.


  Since increasing the impedance of the power source beyond this point will 
result in a decrease in the power available to the load, it would follow that a 
constant power load would no longer work beyond this point - that is, below the 
50/50 point you end up with the load not being able to extract enough power 
from the line to work at all. 


  On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 12:35 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:

    This is what I was looking for when I started this quest.

    The formula is so simplistic, it almost seems like for the amount of work I 
put into it it should be more complex.

    If you cannot see the image, there is the bottom line.

    If you have a device that uses a switch mode regulator, which is many 
things these days because the are efficient, cheap and small, you have a device 
that is essentially a constant power load.

    If you have to power that constant power load, (like an SM or a VDSL 
ethernet line extender) over wires that have a significant amount of 
resistance, like 1000 feet of 24 gauge twisted pair, there is a lower voltage 
beyond which they will not operate.  (I would say to not exceed their input 
voltage either without zener protection).

    That voltage is:

    V(supply min) = 2 sqrt(PR)

    Where P is the power of the load.
    R is the power wire resistance.

    In my case, I need 48.99 volts or more.





  -- 

        Forrest Christian CEO, PacketFlux Technologies, Inc.

        Tel: 406-449-3345 | Address: 3577 Countryside Road, Helena, MT 59602
        [email protected] | http://www.packetflux.com

           




Reply via email to