I meant to write (a file THAT doesn't actually exist anywhere on the
filesystem) in the parenthetical.

-- Nathan

From: Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] On Behalf Of Nathan Anderson
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 5:41 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Best BPX to work with Unifi Phones

Asterisk's res_phoneprov module can deal with this and I'm sure could easily be
adapted to work with UniFi VoIP phones as well.  Polycoms work the same way:
they request <macaddr>.cfg from the provisioning server.  In Asterisk, each
extension is mapped to a particular MAC address, and when a Polycom phone asks
for (e.g.) 0004f2abcdef.cfg from Asterisk's built-in HTTP server (a file
doesn't actually exist anywhere on the filesystem), Asterisk knows which
extension that phone should have and generates the configuration for it
on-the-fly.

-- Nathan