From: Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] On Behalf Of Justin Wilson
Sent: Sunday, November 12, 2017 11:53 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] IPArchitechs

Speaking from a consultant side it can be a little tricky with a new client.  I
have been burned more than once thinking I was going to “hop in and fix it real
quick”. Anymore, I want to build relationships with my clients.  One of the
last ones was a guy calls me at midnight having a traffic issue.  He has two
upstream pipes he wants to try and utilize and needs some BGP help.  It’s an
emergency situation because he is maxing out one pipe and the other is barely
being used. So, I talk with him for 45 minutes on his drive home before he can
give me remote access.  I then spend the next hour or so writing out diagrams
on paper trying to learn his network as quickly as I can.

I then make some BGP changes and see traffic change and watch it for another 15
minutes or so. By this time his prime time is starting to wind down a little so
I can’t tell if it’s normal traffic utilization or I actually fixed it. I tell
client I made changes, spent 15 minutes typing up said changes, and say I
*think* I fixed it but don’t really know enough about the network to say I did.
 Send client invoice and say let me know and we can look again at no charge.

Three days later I get a nasty e-mail saying I didn’t fix it, goes on and on
how he can prove I didn’t fix it blah blah.  Oh, and by the way his normal
consultant logged in and fixed it. Well yeah because the normal guy knows a
whole lot more about the network than I did.

Another off the street client had me look at some drop out issues.  Again, same
story.  I have never touched the network and he calls me saying traffic just
randomly stops for a second or two at a time.  Start looking at things, start
from the easiest things to look at.  Spend 3 hours or so making sure configs
are correct, etc.  Bill client and say get back to me.  Sends me a nasty gram 3
months later saying it was the switch the routers were hooked into and they had
buffer issues.  Why did I not tell him to replace the switch within the first
hour?!?!?!

These are just a few examples.  Us WISP consultants are a small bunch and we
all know each other.  My advice is you need to find a consultant you can build
a relationship with that works for BOTH of you.  My regular clients know I pick
up the phone in a pinch and am fair with them.  However, they have taken the
time and effort to build the relationship on their side too.  Anyone new who
calls me that is looking for someone to answer the phone in that pinch
automatically starts out with a 3-5 network evaluation. I don’t go as far as
labbing everything up, but I make sure the documentation is spot on.  I still
do the small break fixes, etc. but I am much more cautious about things.  We
all have our own way of doing stuff.  Some people and I don’t click.  Some do.
I am sure that is the same with any other consultant.

Justin Wilson
j...@mtin.net<mailto:j...@mtin.net>

j2sw.com<http://j2sw.com>
www.mtin.net<http://www.mtin.net>
www.midwest-ix.com<http://www.midwest-ix.com>

On Nov 9, 2017, at 1:10 PM, Sterling Jacobson