I'm working on a similar project.
Still looking for hardware for the vMX BNG but the basic outline is:

vMX running as a BNG on ? hardware.
DHCP, DNS server running on a slice on the same server.  Possibly also a
fall over Freeradius instance with some default accept behavior.  We run
accounts based on circuits so we could have all the possible circuits for
the POP already set up in the radius server with default attributes just in
case the BNG can't get back to our main authentication servers for some
reason.

In theory, you could also use that as your router, but I prefer to keep
that separate so an ACX in packet mode as the router.  Either ACX1100 or
ACX2200 depending on 1G/10G.

For me, I'm a firm believer in running a BNG to do authenticated IPoE on
unique customer circuits.  I'm guessing Mikrotik et al can also do this
somehow.

I'm trying to fit this all into a Calix ODC100 along with the E7-2.

--

Carl Peterson

*PORT NETWORKS*

401 E Pratt St, Ste 2553