Another option is NetFlow.   The tough part is tying the user to the IP for a
specific date and time.  Especially if the IP changes.

We use Calix Flow Analyzer.  They purchased the old Xangati platform a few
years back.

When a user logs in (DHCP through our captive portal), a RADIUS packet goes to
the Calix system.  It then knows what username had what IP and when.  You can
use their API to pull reports (hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, etc.).  This
data could then be fed to your billing system.

Not sure if it would work for your application but it may be something worth
considering.

Charlie

Charles Boening
Network Manager
800-858-2399 | Office
charl...@calore.net<mailto:charl...@calore.net>

www.cot.net<http://www.cot.net/> | Find us on
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cal-Ore/205066716227707>
Cal-Ore  | Real. Local. Trusted. Professional.