Your sensations of consciousness, free will, qualia, and identity are
evolutionary adaptations. You want to preserve them by not dying. This
results in more offspring.

You can transcend consciousness by running a simulation of your mind in a
computer and modifying the software to produce any level of bliss you
desire. But other beings that maintain their physical embodiment might
repurpose the computer for more useful work. It's your choice.