Colin the neurons only resemble the fuel in a reactor and the minds are
its chain reactions.

On 04.07.2019 05:43, Colin Hales wrote:
Hi Matt,

Excellent, I think we can progress a bit.

The columns are accurate. Let me give some more detail on the
examples. Let's just focus on flight for now. This is how the science
reality maps to the diagram for Wilbur and Orville Wright:

1) they have a goal of replicating flight, and they must acquire a
level of scientific knowledge that does not yet exist. They are
inspired by birds as a known case of real natural flight. Their
mission is artificial flight,  but in the process they'll create
abstract formalisms that capture scientific knowledge.

2) Their particular priority is replication. Other science contexts
prioritise the abstract formalisms. This is the science/engineering
balance.

3) On the right, there is numerical, paper, hand-computed exploration
of the Bernoulli equation. There is now and has always been this
computer exploration of abstract symbols, mostly tedious arithmetic,
.... Especially iterative solutions to differential equations. All by
hand on paper, for centuries... Millenia...

All that happened in the mid 20th century was that the 'computer'
job/process was automated with electronic computers. My Aunt Pat, who
recently died, was such a computer in an era where human computers
went extinct.

This is the RIGHT science activity that is the explorations of the
prediction  an abstract model (theory/model) to find out how
predictive the model is of the observed nature in the MIDDLE. The
construction of the model can originate in human thought, or it can
literally result from empirical work done in MIDDLE and on LEFT.

When theory RIGHT, and observation done on, MIDDLE/LEFT match, job
done. Publish.

3) inspired by bird (MIDDLE) wings, they built wooden/canvas wing
profiles and 'replicated natural lift physics' in a wind tunnel. This
is empirical work of the LEFT kind. It captured the lift part, not the
propulsion part, of flight the way birds do it. The essential physics
of bird flight was conserved in the wind tunnel, not the bird's way of
getting it (feathers etc).

---------------
Empirical work need not always demand literal replication of MIDDLE
physics, but if it does then as a task it is a distinct category of
work and fits on the LEFT.

Example.
In LIGO, a massive experimental apparatus was built to detect MIDDLE
naturally produced gravitational waves.

There was no replication of MIDDLE gravitational waves. If there was,
then the scientists would engineer 2 black holes and fire them at each
other, thereby replicating nature... On the LEFT.

Example: CERN and the Higgs boson.
Unlike gravitational waves, the proof of a prediction of Higgs boson a
made by theory (the standard model of particle physics, RIGHT) and
this required human- engineered Higgs bosons.  Just like everywhere
else in science, computing their way around the model is not
scientific proof that Higgs Bosons exist as the model predicted.

This time, the MIDDLE natural Higgs boson is missing.  Not impossible,
just hard to find. All the empirical work happened on the LEFT.

So they built a machine that behaved in a way they thought would make
Higgs bosons. This is on the LEFT.

Example: Fire (combustion)
This is a case where replication came first, before science even
existed! 500,000 years later, Lavoisier replicated combustion LEFT and
displaced an existing RIGHT theory (phlogiston), replacing it with
oxidation. There was no serious numerical exploration (RIGHT) work
then. But nowadays, if you create a combustion simulator, to help
design a furnace... There's a computer on the RIGHT exploring
combustion formalisms, not actual combustion.
---------
BTW, the only reason I put a real computer substrate on the RIGHT in
every case, is because computers have automated the manual exploration
out of existence. Nobody does it by hand any more. Sorry I didn't
explain this more clearly. If it has confused anyone...sorry!

------- moving on .......

Every science context I can think of fits the LEFT/RIGHT/MIDDLE model.
They are very distinct categories and cannot be confused with each other.

In no science of a natural phenomenon (MIDDLE), ever, has the RIGHT
been accepted as or observed to be an instance of MIDDLE.

So if there is even a remote possibility of a level of real LEFT/RIGHT
equivalence, it is so unique it must be  explored in a very thorough
way so that this amazing *exception* in science is understood.

That means understanding science and being able to articulate that
understanding in a manner and at a level previously unnecessary.

-------
The pertinent and special fact of the framework when it comes to
neuroscience of the natural brain/mind (MIDDLE), and it's involvement
with the creation of an artificial equivalent (LEFT) for the purposes
of the science is the real possibility of some level of complete
equivalence between LEFT and RIGHT - a possibility that is unique in
science and unproved.

Here, in AGI, we therefore encounter that real science possibility. We
all need to understand the conduct of science well beyond levels found
elsewhere. That is the responsibility we all have. That is part of why
I am here.

-----
Have I expressed this clearly? Please choose any science you know of
and map it into the framework... See if you can find instructive test
cases.

E.G.....The framework is, guess what? ...   A scientific model of the
conduct of science by humans. The model itself is an example of an
empirically determined theory! RIGHT. The natural scientists (MIDDLE)
were observed and the model and the observations match ...and guess
what? Find any counterexample, and the model will need work, and I'll
be happy to see it?

And.. ...there's more .....

Q. The LEFT activity, in this self-referential application of the
model to science itself ..    is what ?

You tell me. I'm serious.

:-)

Colin

The next test case is special, too.... 'computer science'. But that
can wait.

On Thu., 4 Jul. 2019, 10:50 am Matt Mahoney, <mattmahone...@gmail.com