The doubling time for Moore's law, 1.5 years, is just one of many
technologies that underwent exponential growth for awhile, just like the
automotive industry from 1890 to 1920. If it weren't for the limits of
physics, we should have cars today that travel faster than light and cost
less than a dollar. We saw similar predictions for nuclear power and space
travel in the 1950s. Now transistors are at the limits of physics, and
other technologies like genomics are growing exponentially, like all
innovations do in the early stages.

The overall effect of many different technologies is centuries of economic
growth (relative to the price of food) at 2-3% per year, or a doubling time
of 25-30 years. Any trend on a shorter time scale won't make reliable
predictions beyond that scale.

For now we can look forward to life expectancy increasing at 20% (0.2 years
per year), declining population in developed countries as more people live
alone, more government control while feeling more free, more economic
inequality even as the poor get richer, open borders, abolition of arrests
and prisons (but not crime), and the disappearance of cash and non
synthetic meat. We are at the transition of technology connecting us to
isolating us as we interact more with AI and less with other people. Large
events, stadiums, theaters, and shopping centers will disappear, along with
all forms of mass entertainment, shows and music, in favor of private
virtual worlds with private languages in our smart homes served by self
driving delivery carts.

Beyond the next century, the most persistent trend is the chaotic nature of
evolution, punctuated by mass extinctions and rapid replacement with new
species, events that form the boundaries of geologic eras. We are in one
now, very close to replacing DNA based life with something more efficient.