On Tuesday, May 14, 2024, at 11:21 AM, James Bowery wrote:

> Yet another demonstration of how Alan Turing poisoned the future with his
> damnable "test" that places mimicry of humans over truth.

What Turing actually said in 1950.
https://redirect.cs.umbc.edu/courses/471/papers/turing.pdf

The question was "Can machines think?"  Turing carefully defined his
terms, both what a computer is (it could be a human following an
algorithm using pencil and paper) and what it means to "think". I find
it interesting that he proposed the same method proposed by Ivan
Moony, to program a learning algorithm and raise it like a child. Or
alternatively, he estimated the amount of code as 60 developers
working 50 years at the rate of 1000 bits per day on a computer with
10^9 bits of memory using components no faster than what was already
available in 1950. (Mechanical relays are as fast as neurons, and
vacuum tubes are 1000 times faster). Turing anticipated objections to
the idea of thinking machines and answered them, including objections
based on consciousness, religion, and extrasensory perception.

--
-- Matt Mahoney, mattmahone...@gmail.com