Gary Miller wrote:

> On Dec 26th Alan Grimes said.
>
> >> !+ d03$n'7 vv0rk b3cuz $uch 4 $!st3m c4n'+ r34d m! 31337 +3x+.
>
> It doesn't work because such a system can't read my ????? text

"elite" >> "eleet"
Often used as something like "M3 1337 hax0r d00d."
Which is very bad grammar translating to "I'm an elite hacker dude."

> Since ascii values are used in patterns which NLP programs match to,
> and hence lose those visual and phonetic characteristics it is not
> unreasonable that the program would not be able to read this unless
> either it's patterns were encoded to accept these simple replacements
> values as valid substitutions or a cryptographic module was front ended
> to break the cipher.  Either option has a very low payback in terms of
> work required right now.

That's the point.
A human level intelligence requires arbitrary acess to
visual/phonetic/other "faculties" in order to be intelligent.
A system that either lacks these or tries to fake them in some way is
noticably weaker than a general intelligence.

--
pain (n): see Linux.
http://users.rcn.com/alangrimes/