----- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Goertzel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 9:08 PM
Subject: RE: [agi] TLoZ: Link's Awakening.

> The idea of a 2D UI in which the user and the AI can both create stuff, is
> part of our idea for a "Novababy" teaching/training environment, and also
> part of Peter Voss's A2I2 teaching/training environment.  It's a
> "natural"....
>
> The inclusion of games in this environment is also a good idea... I am
eager
> to see what Michael Roy Ames will come up with in terms of a series of
> progressively more & more difficult games for young AGI's.
>
> -- Ben

Think of it as convergent evolution in action;  the ai architecture I have
been working on for the past month
uses a similar idea, in my case it's a sort of simplified simulation of real
life (something like the Halo physics engine would probably work great for
this).  my design is 'embodied' within its world; all input is through
simulated sensors, all out put through somatic effectors.  At
initialization, the ai will be much like a baby; almost totally helpless,
but with built-in components which direct it's mental growth towards the
development of intelligence and self awareness.  Things we have like
curiosity and the innate need for attention and parental "love"

I've just uploaded some stuff to my site, so now all the basic components of
my design and a rough-draft spec. of it's system-level architectue are on my
site.  The neural processing stuff discussed above:
http://users.rcn.com/standley/AI/neuralnet1.jpg 367K
http://users.rcn.com/standley/AI/neuralnet2.jpg 210K
http://users.rcn.com/standley/AI/neuralnet3.jpg 303K
and the architecture overview:
http://users.rcn.com/standley/AI/sysarchitecture.jpg 296K

now 'all' I have to do is put all this stuff together into a single,
coherent document, then I can start fleshing out the system architecture and
some of the poorly explained/illustrated basic components, as well as draw
up the specifications for the symbolic knowledge representaion system I've
designed for the ai (though it could be used for almost anything)

also, has anyone seen this yet?
http://www.inform.umd.edu/EdRes/Colleges/ARHU/Depts/English/englfac/MTurner/
cin.web/cin.html
Conceptual Integration Networks - I haven't finished reading the paper as i
just got this link yesterday, but what I have read intrigues me.  IMHO
anyone working on an ai project should at least give it a quick look

J Standley
http://users.rcn.com/standley/AI/AI.htm

please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?[EMAIL PROTECTED]