Kevin wrote:
> We often intelligently use things we do not understand.  Computers,
> automobiles, our brains, quarks, and so on.  Why can't an AGI use words it
> does not actually understand, so long as it uses the word properly and
> accomplishes the desired result?

I think it's fine for an AGI to use *some* words it doesn't understand well.

However, my conjecture is that in order for it to use *any* words with true fluency,
it needs to
have a solid core of words that it *does* understand (based on grounding in
experience).
Based on this core, it can then talk through its digital butt about a lot of other
stuff ;-)

ben g

please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?[EMAIL PROTECTED]