Kevin Copple wrote:
> "Thinking" in humans, much like genetic evolution, seems to involve
> predominately trial and error.  Even the "logic" we like to use is more
> often than not faulty, but can lead us to try something different.  And
> example of popular logic that is invariably faulty is reasoning
> by analogy.
> It is attractive, but always breaks down on close examination.  But this
> type of reasoning will lead to a trial that may succeed, possibly
> because of
> the attractive similarities, but more likely in spite of them.

I don't agree with this paragraph, although I see some truth in it.

I think that "trial and error" based idea-evolution is one important aspect
of human cognition, but not the *predominant* aspect.  It may predominate in
some circumstances, but these would be unusual ones where there was little
pertinent background knowledge....

Analogical inference can be formulated rigorously in probabilistic terms.
It does have a "guesswork" aspect to it, but it's a well-organized way of
managing conditional probabilities... in my view ;_)

In Novamente, we have an EvolutionaryConceptCreation MindAgent which
explicitly uses trial and error to create new ideas.  But it is intended for
use together with other MindAGents, including those implementing
probabilistic inference ....  If you set the parameters of the system so
that evolutionary concept creation predominated, I think you'd find a system
with far below optimal functionality..

Traditional logic-based AI has badly underemphasized the role of trial and
error, but I'm afraid you're swinging to the opposite extreme !!

-- Ben

please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?[EMAIL PROTECTED]