Hi Kevin,

"Trial and error" describes an approach to learning, and
I think the issue you are getting at is that thinking (i.e.,
reasoning and planning) must be grounded in learning, in
the same way that symbols must be grounded in sensory
experience.

This can be understood in terms of the general steps of
brain evolution:

1. sensors -> nerve cells -> actions

2. reinforcement learning of behaviors in response to sensory
   stimuli, including the beginnings of reinforcement values
   such as "eating is good"

3. simulation (i.e., brains processing experiences that are
   not actually occuring) in order to begin solving the
   temporal credit assignment problem (this is the problem
   of reinforcing behaviors when rewards occur significantly
   later than behaviors, and multiple behaviors occur before
   rewards)

4. increasingly sophisticated simulation (planning, simulating
   brains of other animals) and values (social values for
   teamwork)

To see how planning fits into learning, consider that when
humans confront novel situations they consciously plan their
behaviors, based on simulated scenarios. As they repeat the
situation and it is less novel, those planned behaviors
become unconscious. Furthermore, those unconscious behaviors
become part of the repitoire for future planning.

This relation between planning and learning is illustrated
by the development of a beginning chess player into a chess
master. A beginner's plans may include as many alternatives
as a master's, but the master's plans are in terms of a
repitoire of behaviors learned through lots of previous plans
and reinforcement.

Note that this analysis is different from Skinner's behaviorism
because it deals with the way an internal mental life (i.e.,
simulation) fits into the learning of behaviors.

Cheers,
Bill
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  608-263-4427  fax: 608-263-6738