I understand that you are not specifically talking about
open source, but as the auther of several open source
visualization systems (including Vis5D, which was probably
the first open source visualization system) I want to
point out that there is a real opportunity for someone who
starts an open source AGI project.

When you provide a good open source system, all kinds of
smart people you never heard of send you valuable new
functions to add to your software, as well as subjecting
your system to much more exhaustive testing than you could
(and often sending you bug fixes). Unless you are rich,
you can't hire the kind of talent that volunteers to help.

I don't know of any current open source AGI project, so
there may be the opportunity for someone to create the first.
Or is there already one that I'm not aware of? Of course, you
have to create a good system (and one that encourages others
to dig in and add pieces) in order to create a strong
community of programmers around it. You could be the Linus
Torvalds of AGI.

If I were working on an AGI systems (I'm not, since I'm about
to turn 56, about to retire, and currently enjoying a breather
from coding my butt off for the past 35 years) I'd definitely
see creating the first open source AGI system as a big
opportunity.

Cheers,
Bill