Hi Stephen,

As a small operation independent of Cyc, distributing
your AGI system as open source is likely to be a good
strategy.

As a small university PI developing visualization
software, distributing my systems as open source turned
out to be very good for my project. Our collaborators
and customers came to us out of the blue, without any
need for a marketing department we couldn't afford.
There were very few negatives (we did have a developer
in China who wanted me to pay them to get access to
some enhanccements they had made, but I simply declined).

In my first major system, Vis5D, there was a problem
with divergent versions. We were able to work with
developers to unify the most important versions, but
it was hard work and there were still numerous
divergent versions. For another major system, VisAD, I
specifically designed it a high level of abstraction
and with classes designed to be extended to allow
developers to make low level changes, and so far there
have not been divergent versions. I am a bit skeptical
whether legal wording in the license will restrain
developers from making divergent versions - as a small
operation, are you really prepared to take violators to
court? But if your design makes divergence less necesary,
most developers will see the advantage of a unified
version that permits sharing.

By open source distribution you are expressing optimism
about human nature, and your developer community will
mostly justify that optimism. The best approach for the
few who disappoint you is to simply ignore them.

Good luck,
Bill