Interpretation-wise, Cox followed Keynes pretty closely. Keynes had his own eccentric view of probability, which held among other things that a single number was not enough information to capture a judgment of uncertainty (and I agree with this). However, even so, Cox's Theorem does pertain to single-number representations (but does not state that a single number is a sufficient quantification of a mind's uncertainty about a statement)

ben