Category Theory is newer than Group Theory, and I'm just starting to
understand it so can't speak much of it, but it seems to be better and more
encompassing than Group Theory.  Group Theory and all that can be described
with it, covers a lot, an unimaginable universe of design possibilities.
Limitations in contemporary computer hardware processing ability necessitate
compensation for the lack thereof.  Well designed mathematical structures
enable vast efficiency compensations.  The structures and systems that Group
Theory enable are just amazingly efficient.  If you can build thinking
models, substructures, components, intercommunication networks of objects,
decision bots, evolvable reconnaissance agents or whatever you want,
described with groups, algebras, related derivatives, operating on graphs,
utilizing traditional AI (like a skin) before even coding you have the
advantage needed over AGI's that rely heavily on traditional AI
conglomerations slapped together with big data reservoirs with lots of
hardware and administration thrown at them.  You can build, prototype,
evolve, without ever coding and start the coding later.  This can be done
with the usual math constructs, but Group Theory (GT) is more digital, more
encompassing, more representative and operational. Yes other math
technologies can be described, enhanced, redesigned, but it's like can a NN
algorithm be built from scratch with another NN?  Maybe, but with GT, esp.
if your system had ample of it built in could spit out algorithms and
morphisms for the appropriate problem domain.  With data representation, the
more sophisticated the representation, the less data storage required
(compression) alluding to efficiency in modeling real world data objects and
systems.  With GT, intensely sophisticated constructs (engines?) can
describe huge amounts of data (or patterns and morphisms) at a higher order.
Basically, many things can be described with a relatively few algorithms and
those algorithms can be described with a basic set of math (GT) systems and
the more things described means less hardware for storage (RAM, Disk, etc.),
and less bandwidth.

John