This is similar to the thread I was workign on recently about "Goals" that
didnt get quite as far as I would have liked either.

1. For use as testing metrics or for our personal goals of What an AGI should
achieve, or what is important these goals or classes of problems should be
defined as well as we possibly can.

A couple obvious upper level classes are
  Navigation - in a real or virtual world.
  Natural Language - speaking, reading, talking
  Basic Problems Solving - given a simple, problem find a solution.

2. More specific for your AGI,
  What do you see the virtual pets doing?  Specifically as end user functions
for the consumer, the selling points you would give them, and how the AGI would
help these functions.
  Is it going to be a rich enough situation in general to display more than
just a blocks world type of "pet, go fetch me the blue ball over there"

James Ratcliff

Benjamin Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 5/1/07, Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:        No, I keep saying -
I'm not asking for the odd  narrowly-defined task - but rather defining CLASSES
of specific problems that  your/an AGI will be able to tackle.

Well, we have thought a lot about

-- virtual agent control in simulation worlds (both pets and humanlike avatars)
-- natural language question answering
-- recognition of patterns in large bodies of scientific data

 Part of the definition task should be to  explain how if you can solve one
kind of problem, then you will be able to solve  other distinct kinds.

We can certainly explain that re Novamente, but IMO it is not the best way to
get across how the system works to others with a technical interest in AGI.  It
may well be a useful mode of description for marketing purposes, however.

ben g

James Ratcliff - http://falazar.com
Looking for something...