2. More specific for your AGI,
  What do you see the virtual pets doing?  Specifically as end user
functions for the consumer, the selling points you would give them, and how
the AGI would help these functions.
  Is it going to be a rich enough situation in general to display more
than just a blocks world type of "pet, go fetch me the blue ball over there"

James Ratcliff

Well, it's a commercial project so I can't really talk about what the
capabilities of the version 1.0 virtual pets will be.

But the idea will be to start simple, and then incrementally roll out
smarter and smarter versions.  And, the idea is to make the pets flexible
and adaptive learning systems, rather than just following fixed behavior
patterns.

One practical limitation is that we need to host a lot of pets on each
server...

However, we can do some "borg mind" stuff to work around this problem -- so
that each pet retains its own personality, yet benefits from "collective
learning" done basis on the totality of all the pets' memories...

-- Ben