As I understand it, true sign language (e.g. ASL) has its own syntax and to
some extent tis own vocabulary. The "slowness" sign language is almost
entirely in those artificial variants where there has been an attempt to
transliterate the spoken language into a set of gestures. Natively signed
language is at least as fast and expressive as spoken, possibly more so. I'm
fairly sure the bottleneck in both cases is the mental production of the
string of symbols, not their physical enactment.

My operating theory, not original, is that language arose from the ability to
watch another's hands and understand what they were doing. (The fact that
signed language operates at "native" as opposed to "emulated" speed and
breadth tends to support this.) This is the angle I'm attacking language from
in Tommy -- have him interpret sequences of actions, and see what kind of
mechanism that forces me to build.

Josh