Really Open Source software projects almost never have a total open door
policy on the contributions that are accepted.   There is usually a small
group that determines whether contributed changes are good enough and fit
the overall project goals and architecture well enough.

Wikipedia is one of the best innovations in information aggregation ever.  I
think many of us are very happy that it exists and use it extensively.  It
does work to filter wheat from chaff over time.

Claiming most Open Source is me-too knock-offs is simply wrong.  Apache and
many of its subprojects took the market by storm because it is significantly
better than the closed source solutions it replaced for one example among
many.

You understand that Mozilla is open source right?   Most of the innovation
we enjoy in Firefox today came long after Netscape days and long after
lingering Netscape/AOL control.

But I don't expect any great understanding about Open Source here.   It is
not the expertise or prime interest of the group.