RE: [agi] The Grounding of MathsEdward,

As a v. quick reply to start with, grounding means "making sense of" - using
ALL senses not just visual.

"Did you think about it?"
"Yes I did. A lot"

Your ability to reply here is based on your sensory experience of having
thought - that is not a visual.sensory experience.  "I felt sad" - is a
grounded statement - grounded in your internal kinaesthetic experience of your
emotions.

Would you like to rephrase your question in the light of this - the common
sense nature of grounding, which I think obvious and beyond dispute?

One further and huge point. My impression is that you may be like most AI guys
- somewhat lacking in both an evolutionary and developmental perspective
(perhaps it's to do with being so future-oriented).

Consequently, you are making another mistake as drastic as thinking that
grounding is just one sense. You are leaving out the developmental history of
human understanding altogether.

No child will be able to understand this legal document. Many adults won't be
able to understand it either. Why not?

Because human understanding and the human model of the world have to go through
a great number of stages.  It takes many stages of intellectual development to
go from something like:

"Cat bite Lucy"

"Animals eat people"

"Human-animal relationships are fraught with conflict"

"This Darwinian picture of evolution presupposes arms races as an important
factor."

Ben a mathematician looked at the immense complexity of the numbers and maths
he deals with and failed to appreciate that they are composite affairs -
which can only be mastered,  psychologically, stage by stage, building from
very directly grounded numbers like ten's, to very complexly and indirectly
grounded numbers like trillions, "very large numbers", irrational numbers etc.
For maths this is actually rather obvious WHEN you look at things
developmentally.

You are making the same mistake in jumping to the most complex forms of
language and concepts and asking: how can these immensely complex and abstract
concepts possibly be grounded?

It's a good question. But,as with maths, the broad answer is: only
developmentally,  grounded stage by grounded stage. If human reasoning were as
you think it, based only (or only in certain areas) on manipulation of symbolic
networks, you and other humans would have no problem jumping to an
understanding of that legal document at the age of 5.

In fact to understand it, you have had to built up, stage by stage,  a vast
GROUNDED model of the world - you have had to learn what "courts" are, what a
"justice" is (and you had to SEE courts and watch movies to do that), you had
to look at several machines before you could understand what a general concept
like  "mechanism" meant, you have had to LOOK at patents and then physically
compare them with actual machines, and then physically compare those machines
with other machines to see whether their parts are indeed new or essentially
copies. You had to SEE books of logic etc etc

And great sections of that immensely complex grounded model will be invoked -
UNCONSCIOUSLY - as you read the document.

And even so as you read sections like:

Claim 4 of the Engelgau patent describes a mechanism for combining an
electronic sensor with an adjustable automobile pedal so the pedal's position
can be transmitted to a computer that controls the throttle in the vehicle's
engine. When Teleflex accused KSR of infringing the Engelgau patent by adding
an electronic sensor to one of KSR's previously designed pedals, KSR countered
that claim 4 was invalid under the Patent Act, 35 U. S. C. ยง103, because its
subject matter was obvious.

you will repeatedly  have momentary if not extensive difficulties understanding
which parts and which machine is being referred to at which point. Why? Because
your brain is continually trying to MAKE SENSE of those damn words and SEE
where the pedal is in relation to the throttle, and which pedal is which etc.

As with all legal documents where "the party of the third part believes that
the party of the second part attacked the party of the first part.." your
unconscious mind goes blank trying to GROUND and physically connect all these
different parts.

And that's partly why we pay you lawyers such outrageous sums of money, because
you are prepared to so torture your brain's grounding/ sense-making faculties -
and most of us can't be bothered!

Does all this make things a little clearer? (Note that you are trying to SEE
how difficult prose is grounded!)

(There's a lot more to explain but I hope I have got you to start asking
questions. The key is to understand that high-level conceptual language like:

"This Darwinian picture of evolution presupposes arms races as an important
factor"

is very complexly and hierarchically grounded, just as but even more so, than
numbers like 10 to the 150 describing the number of chess moves, are grounded.

You are having natural difficulties because you want something like that
Darwininan sentence to be as directly grounded as "Cat bite child" is.

I and psychology need to set out the stages and levels of grounding and
processing that sentence - & I'm working on it occasionally].

P.S. I can add one useful definition here - i.e. that the grounding/processing
of complex general and abstract language (especially "intellectual prose") can
and does involve SEVERAL levels of conceptual AND image processing
simultaneously. It's awesome stuff.