My personal opinion is that the internal use of words is largely for indexing. That words are a device closely connected with serialization. This doesn't mean that they are an efficient way to think, and I doubt that they are, except in special circumstances. Of course, if what you're doing is retrieval, then words can be VERY efficient.

One reason that words are so useful for this is that they are coded (digital). Slight mispronunciations don't cause faliure, as error correction can automatically correct. (Look at the word "failure" earlier in the sentence. I'll wager that you interpreted it correctly, even though it was misspelled.) Because of this it's easy to create linkages between memories with words. You can say "chair" to yourself every time you encounter a chair. This can start with someone saying "chair" to you, and pointing, in several different contexts. Eventually you get the idea. But this couldn't be done without a readily duplicable symbol.

But one clear consequence of this is that words discard most of the meaning of any particular instance. A chair has to be a rather general kind of thing, covering all potential chairs. So if I conceptualize to myself a desire for a chair, I don't use the word, I just go and get it. The word doesn't appear until there's necessity for tagging it. (Well, actually I probably *do* mutter to myself something like "Now where is that stupid chair!, O, I left it in the kitchen.", but that's fairly clearly for memory access, and I don't usually even become conscious of the process.

Mike Tintner wrote:
Edward,

What you and everyone else is doing here - trying to analyse your conscious thought processes directly to see grounding or not - is v. misleading.

One central point I have been making is that grounding - the brain making sense of conscious symbols - is largely *unconscious.* Thinking consciously in words is much more economic of effort than thinking consciously in visuals. We will never stop thinking mainly in words - or, in maths, in numbers.

If you really want to understand grounding - and, I suggest, seriously improve your thinking - look at all the examples you can find of CONFUSION - when you *don't* understand something.

That's a basic principle of something like neuropsychology of old - if you want to understand how a thing works, look at when and why it *doesn't* work.

What are the subjects or subject areas (in say science, philosophy, psychology etc etc) that give you difficulty? Make a list.

And then try and see what it takes to overcome some of those difficulties - what the brain needs to "see the light", for things finally to "click."

Then you'll start to see common patterns in how the brain does and doesn't work/ understand.

If you and everyone else starts to do that, you'll also start to find this whole business of grounding seriously interesting.

Edward:Different people's minds probably work differently. For me dredging up of
memories, including verbal memories, is an important part of my mental
processes.  Maybe that is because I have been trained as a lawyer.

I am not arguing against the fact that visual memories play an important
role in human thinking. They do. I often do a lot of my best thinking in
terms of images.

What I am arguing is that other types of grounding play an important part
as well.  I am arguing that visual grounding is not necessarily the
largest force in each and every mathematical thought.  Yes, the human
brain dedicates a lot of real estate to visual processing, but if you take
all of the language, behavioral, emotional and higher level association
areas, you have a lot of brain real estate dedicated to concepts that are
either non-visual or only partially visual. We should not assume that all
that brain real estate plays little or no role in most thinking.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if visual memories and patterns are
taking at least some part in the massively parallel spreading activation
and inferencing in the sub-conscious that helps pop most thoughts up to
consciousness -- without me even knowing it.  But by similar reasoning I
would also assume a lot of non-visual memories and patterns would also be
taking part in such massive parallel inferencing.

In many types of thinking I am consciously aware of words in my head much
more than I am of images.  Perhaps this is because I am a patent lawyer,
and I have spent thousands of hours reading text in which many of the
words have only loose association to concrete visual memories.  And as a
lawyer when I read such abstract texts, to the extent that I can sense
what is in my consciousness and near consciousness, many of the words I
read seem to derive their meaning largely from other concepts and memories
that also seem to be largely defined in terms of words, although
occasionally visual memories pop out.

When I read "The plaintiff is an Illinois corporation selling services for
the maintenance of photocopiers" it is probably not until I get to
"photocopiers" than anything approaching a concrete image pops into my
mind.

Thus, at least from my personal experience, it seems that many concepts
learned largely through words can be grounded to a significant degree in
other concepts defined largely through words.  Yes, at some level in the
gen/comp pattern hierarchy and in episodic memory all of these concepts
derive at least some of their meaning from visual memories.  But for
seconds at a time that does not seem to be the level of representation my
consciousness is aware of.

Does any body else on this list have similar episodes of what appears to
be largely verbal conscious thought, or am I (a) out of touch with my own
conscious processes, and/or (b) weird?

Edward W. Porter
Porter & Associates
24 String Bridge S12