Ben wrote:
> Having said that, I would still prefer to avoid the VC route for Novamente.

An other route that Novamente is apparently exploring, is that of open
source development, with OpenCog. It will be very interesting to see
how it pans out, what level of interest and involvement from the
larger developer community it garners, etc.

And to bring this thread back somewhat to its origin, the economical
viability of AGI projects is obviously relevant to the public, as
investors in publicly quoted companies, in capitalistic societies with
a widely spread mass  of institutional or individual shareholders.

To many an Open Source AGI project is the most dangerous path, for the
knowledge in the open enables anybody to accelerate their route to
evil, and for others it is the only way, through spreading the
knowledge to make sure that we have an equally wide understanding of
best defenses.

In this way the economical model of AGI development is intimately tied
to its possible public perception.

--------
David Orban
www.davidorban.com