On Oct 18, 2007, at 11:00 PM, Benjamin Goertzel wrote:
I think that AGI for agent control in virtual worlds is not so hopeless in terms of appealing to VC's ... there's a real market there, and there's clearly a situation where more and more powerful AGI can yield more and
more profits...

The problem is that VCs want nominally provable profits. AGI does not fall under that classification unless it is so good that you do not need VCs. Mind you, I have no problems with VCs and find them easy to work with, but they are usually good for a certain type of business. Angels are better for spec work, but less reliable and the dollars are smaller.

I have talked to a number of VC's in recent months -- and by and large they want to pigeonhole us as a company that forever will be focused on whatever our first product is gonna be.... (If your first product is for instance an animal
in virtual worlds then -- bingo! -- you're a virtual animal company!!)

Heh. Very true. One of the things that has reduced my annoyance over the years is finding VCs that have sufficient vision that I can work with them. There are not many of them, but they are not entirely rare either. The problem is largely if they think the venture is common. You have to be something pretty special for a mainstream VC to invest in AGI, which means you have pulled a rabbit out of the hat at least once. And "special" means having a conventional track record.

It has been well worth my investment in ruthless conventional business to develop the contacts required to fund more exotic ventures no questions asked. It was a long way around, but not much has changed in the interim. If people make enough money, they'll invest in crazy ventures.

VC's in nearly all cases don't have a long time horizon, so to find an AGI opportunity that synergizes with their needs requires a good bit of luck...

If the AGI is any good, wouldn't the time horizon be short...?

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers