Hi Richard,

On Dec 6, 2007 8:46 AM, Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Try to think of some other example where we have tried to build a system
> that behaves in a certain overall way, but we started out by using
> components that interacted in a completely funky way, and we succeeded
> in getting the thing working in the way we set out to.  In all the
> history of engineering there has never been such a thing.

I would argue that, just as we don't have to fully understand the complexity
posed by the interaction of subatomic particles to make predictions about
the way molecular systems behave, we don't have to fully understand the
complexity of interactions between neurons to make predictions about how
cognitive systems behave.  Many researchers are attempting to create
cognitive models that don't necessarily map directly back to low-level
neural activity in biological organisms.  Doesn't this approach mitigate
some of the risk posed by complexity in neural systems?

-- Scott