Mike,

You have mischaracterized "cog sci". It does not say the things you claim it does.

What you are actually trying to attack was a particular view of AI (not cog sci) in which everything is "symbolic" in a particular kind of way. That stuff is just a straw man.

Cog sci in general encourages a wide range of different theories of cognition, and the one that you vaguely describe is easily part of teh cog sci mainstream.

Richard Loosemore

Mike Tintner wrote:
I think I've found a simple test of cog. sci.

I take the basic premise of cog. sci. to be that the human mind - and therefore its every activity, or sequence of action - is programmed. Eric Baum epitomises cog. sci."Baum proposes [in What Is Thought] that underlying mind is a complex but compact program that corresponds to the underlying structure of the world.."

As you know, I contend that that is absurd - that, yes, every human activity - having a conversation, writing a post, making love, doing a drawing etc - is massively "subprogrammed", containing often v. large numbers of routines - but as a whole, each activity is a "free composition". Those routines, along with isolated actions, are more or less freely thrown together - "freely associated" . As a whole, our activities are more or less "crazy" walks - I use "crazy" to mean both structured and chaotic - and effectively self-contradictory.

(This has huge implications for AGI - you guys believe that an AGI must be programmed for its activities, I contend that free composition instead is essential for truly adaptive, general intelligence and is the basis of all animal and human activities).

So how to test cog sci? I contend that the proper, *ideal* test is to record humans' actual streams of thought about any problem - like, say, writing an essay - and even just a minute's worth will show that, actually, humans have major difficulties following anything like a joined-up, rational train of thought - or any stream that looks remotely like it could be programmed overall. (That includes more esoteric forms of programming like random kinds). Actually, humans follow more or less roving, crazy streams of thought - not chaotic by any means, but not perfectly "joined up" either - more or less free-form, a bit like free verse - somewhat structured but only loosely).

I still think that this is the proper, essential approach to studying the connectedness, programmed or otherwise, of human thought. But it is obviously a complicated affair - even if one could record those streams of thought absolutely faithfully.

And science likes simple tests/ experiments - the more mathematical and measurable the better.

So here's a simple mathematical test, which everyone can try.

"Do an abstract line drawing." (for let's say 30 secs. - on this particular site)

Here are a few of my spontaneous masterpieces:

http://www.imagination3.com/LaunchPage?aFileType=&_nolivecache&sessionID=&message=&room_email=&[EMAIL PROTECTED]&from_name=mike tintner&[EMAIL PROTECTED]&to_name=&aDrawingID=20080105_194101926_970043768_gbr&transcript=&_lscid= .

http://www.imagination3.com/LaunchPage?aFileType=&_nolivecache&sessionID=&message=&room_email=&[EMAIL PROTECTED]&from_name=mike tintner&[EMAIL PROTECTED]&to_name=&aDrawingID=20080105_194033348_926554557_gbr&transcript=&_lscid= .

http://www.imagination3.com/LaunchPage?aFileType=&_nolivecache&sessionID=&message=&room_email=&[EMAIL PROTECTED]&from_name=mike tintner&[EMAIL PROTECTED]&to_name=&aDrawingID=20080105_193922629_715992016_gbr&transcript=&_lscid= .

http://www.imagination3.com/LaunchPage?aFileType=&_nolivecache&sessionID=&message=&room_email=&[EMAIL PROTECTED]&from_name=mike tintner&[EMAIL PROTECTED]&to_name=&aDrawingID=20080105_193734879_1708083161_gbr&transcript=&_lscid= .

The beauty of this site is that it does indeed record the actual stream of thought/ drawing - and not just the end result. (It would be v. interesting to see many other people's tests).

Now you guys are mathematicians - I contend that those drawings are indeed crazy, spontaneous, free compositions - they have themes and patterns in parts and are by no means entirely random, but they are certainly not patterned or programmed overall either. Can you find an overall pattern or program to any of them - let alone a program that underlies ALL of them? Or, if you prefer, can you find a suite of programs?

(I guess a more formal way of expressing the test is that on any given page, it is possible to draw an infinite number of line drawings which are a) structured b) chaotic c) crazy (mixtures of both) - and, in principle, programmed or non-programmed. And to assert that human activities are programmed is, in the final analysis, to assert that there is no such thing as a crazy set of lines. But please comment).

What this test shows, I believe, is the bleeding obvious - humans can and do produce truly spontaneous,crazy, nonprogrammed,ad hoc, unplanned sequences of action. Well, it should be obvious but many of you guys will fight to the death to defy the obvious. So one needs a simple test.

It's a considerable historical irony that "painting by numbers" was born very roughly at the same time as AI/ cog sci , c. 1950.

Cog sci. is the view that we live - paint, eat, copulate, talk, etc. - by numbers. That view is wrong. We live, paint etc. by free composition. (And we find both our own and nature's created forms "beautiful" or "ugly" precisely because only a relative few are highly structured/ effectively programmed while the majority are much wilder and a little too freely composed).

P.S. I welcome any proper mathematical formulations of the idea behind the test and also any suggested variations on the test.

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;