Matt Mahoney wrote:
--- Stan Nilsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Reprogramming humans doesn't appear to be an option.

We do it all the time.  It is called "school".

I might be tempted to call this "manipulation" rather than programming. The results of schooling are questionable while programming will produce an expected result if the method is sound.

Less commonly, the mentally ill are forced to take drugs or treatment "for
their own good".  Most notably, this includes drug addicts.  Also, it is
common practice to give hospital and nursing home patients tranquilizers to
make less work for the staff.

Note that the definition of "mentally ill" is subject to change.  Alan Turing
was required by court order to take female hormones to "cure" his
homosexuality, and committed suicide shortly afterwards.

Reprogramming the AGI of the future might be IF the designers build in the right mechanisms for an effective oversight of the units.

We only get to program the first generation of AGI.  Programming subsequent
generations will be up to their parents.  They will be too complex for us to
do it.

Is there a reason to believe that a fledgling AGI will be proficient right from the start? It's easy to jump from AGI #1 to an AGI 10 years down the road and presume these fantastic capabilities. Even if the AGI can spend millions of cycles "ingesting" the Internet, won't it find thousands of difficult problems that might challenge it? Hard problems don't just dissolve when you apply resources. The point here is that control and domination of humans may not be very high on priority list.

Do you think this "older" AGI will have an interest in trying to control other AGI that might come on the scene? I suspect that they will, and they might see fit to design their offspring with an oversight interface.

In part, my contention is that AGI will not automatically agree with one another - do smart people necessarily come to the same opinion? Or does AGI existence mean no longer there are "opinions", only facts since these units grasp everything correctly?

Science fiction aside, there may be a slow transition to AGI into society - remember that the G in AGI means general, not born with "stock market manipulation" capability (unless it mimics the General population, in which case, good luck.)

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]