Matt Mahoney wrote:
--- Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

How do you propose to make humans Friendly?  I assume this would also have
the
effect of ending war, crime, etc.
I don't have such a proposal but an obvious first step is defining/describing Friendliness and why it might be a good idea for us. Hopefully then, the attractor takes over.

(Actually, I guess that is a proposal, isn't it?    :-)

I know you have made exceptions to the rule that intelligences can't be
reprogrammed against their will, but what if AGI is developed before the
technology to reprogram brains, so you don't have this option? Or should AGI
be delayed until we do?  Is it even possible to reliably reprogram brains
without AGI?
Um. Why are we reprogramming brains? That doesn't seem necessary or even generally beneficial (unless you're only talking about self-programming).

As a way to make people behave.  A lot of stuff has been written on why war
and crime are bad ideas, but so far it hasn't worked.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reprogramming humans doesn't appear to be an option. Reprogramming the AGI of the future might be IF the designers build in the right mechanisms for an effective oversight of the units.

Friendly may be nice, and a good marketing tool, but the prudent measure is to assume that the AGI can still be fooled - be tempted, be enamored by an "opportunity." The emphasis might better be placed on asking AGI designers to build in the ability to record the goals / intents / cause / mission of the unit and allow it to be reviewed by appointed authority. <cringe> I believe the US may be requiring large companies to backup all emails through internal email systems. A similar measure could be taken to "backup" the "cause" that AGI is operating under; that is, what AGI is being influenced by at the workspace logic level. (use the imagination a bit...)

I understand that there are issues of who gets to be the authority, and that isn't where this is leading. The intent is to suggest designers think "oversight" as a design specification.