On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 8:57 PM, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If a machine P could simulate two other machines Q and R (each with n bits
> of memory), then P needs n+1 bits, n to reproduce all the states of Q or
> R, and 1 to remember which machine it is simulating.  You described a
> machine P that can simulate only P.

You are being obscure again. A machine that I described can simulate
any machine of limited size and number of states. Basically, it is a
universal machine that can run any other machine, one of which is P,
"the machine itself", but other machines are allowed too. Each machine
can initiate loading of another machine on the underlying universal
machine.

--
Vladimir Nesov
[EMAIL PROTECTED]