On Tuesday 03 June 2008 09:54:53 pm, Steve Richfield wrote:

> Back to those ~200 different types of neurons. There are probably some cute
> tricks buried down in their operation, and you probably need to figure out
> substantially all ~200 of those tricks to achieve human intelligence. If I
> were an investor, this would sure sound pretty scary to me without SOME sort
> of "insurance" like scanning capability, and maybe some simulations.

I'll bet there are just as many cute tricks to be found in computer
technology, including software, hardware, fab processes, quantum mechanics of
FETs, etc -- now imagine trying to figure all of them out at once by running
Pentiums thru mazes with a few voltmeters attached. All at once because you
never know for sure whether some gene expression pathway is crucially
involved in dendrite growth for learning or is just a kludge against celiac
disease.
That's what's facing the neuroscientists, and I wish them well -- but I think
we'll get to the working mind a lot faster studying things at a higher level.
For example:
http://repositorium.sdum.uminho.pt/bitstream/1822/5920/1/ErlhagenBicho-JNE06.pdf

Josh