Well, Ray Kurzweil famously believes that AI must wait for the mapping of the
brain. But if that's the case, everybody on this list may as well go home for
20 years, or start running rats in mazes.

I personally think the "millions of years of evolution" argument is a red
herring. Technological development not only moves much faster than evolution,
but takes leaps evolution can't. And evolution is always, crucially, obsessed
with reproductive success. Evolution would never build an airplane, because
airplanes can't reproduce. But we can, and thus capture the aspect of birds
that's germane to our needs -- flying -- with an assortment of kludges. And
planes are still NOWHERE as sophisticated as birds, and guess what: 100 years
later, they still don't lay eggs.

How much of the human mind is built around the necessity of eating, avoiding
being eaten, finding mates, being obsessed with copulation, and raising and
protecting children? Egg-laying for airplanes, in my view.

There are some key things we learned about flying by watching birds. But
having learned them, we built machines to do what we wanted better than birds
could. We'll do the same with the mind.

Josh

http://repositorium.sdum.uminho.pt/bitstream/1822/5920/1/ErlhagenBicho-JNE06.pdf

http://www.listbox.com/member/?&;