> From: Dr. Matthias Heger [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> For general intelligence some components and sub-components of
> consciousness
> need to be there and some don't. And some could be replaced with a human
> operator as in an augmentation-like system. Also some components could
> be
> designed drastically different from their human consciousness
> counterparts
> in order to achieve more desirous effects in one area or another. ALSO
> there
> may be consciousness components integrated into AGI that humans don't
> have
> or that are almost non-detectable in humans. And I think that the
> different
> consciousness components and sub-components could be more dynamically
> resource allocated in the AGI software than in the human mind.
>
> ----------------
>
> Can neither say 'yes' nor 'no'. Depends on how we DEFINE consciousness
> as a
> physical or algorithm-phenomenon. Until now we each have only an idea of
> consciousness by intrinsic phenomena of our own mind. We cannot prove
> the
> existence of consciousness in any other individual because of the lack
> of a
> better definition.
> I do not believe, that consciousness is located in a small sub-
> component.
> It seems to me, that it is an emergent behavior of a special kind of
> huge
> network of many systems. But without any proper definition this can only
> be
> a philosophical thought.

Given that other humans have similar DNA it is fair to assume that they are
conscious like us. Not 100% proof but probably good enough. Sure the whole
universe may still be rendered for the purpose of one conscious being, and
in a way that is true, and potentially that is something to take into
account.

Consciousness has multiple definitions by multiple different people. But
even without an exact definition you can still extract properties and
behaviors from it and from those, extrapolations can be made and the
beginnings of a model can be established.

Even if it is an emergent behavior of a huge network of many systems doesn't
preclude it from being described in a non-emergent way. And if it is only
uniquely describable through emergent behavior it still has some general
commonly accepted components or properties.

John