On Jun 3, 2008, at 8:44 AM, Mike Tintner wrote:
Thanks. I must confess to my usual confusion/ignorance here - but perhaps I should really have talked of "solid" rather than "3-D mapping."

When you sit in a familiar chair, you have, I presume, a solid mapping (or perhaps the word should be "moulding") - distributed over your body, of how it can and will fit into that chair. And I'm presuming that the maps in the brain may have a similar solid structure. And when you're in a familiar room, you may also have brain maps [or "moulds"] that tell you automatically what is likely to be in front of you, at back, and on each side.

Does your sense of "3-D mapping" equate to this?

Humans are capable of constructing exquisite 3-dimensional models in their minds. see: blind people.

Having that model and computing interactions with that model are two different things. Humans do not actually compute their relation to other objects with high precision, they approximate and iteratively make corrections later. It turns out this may not be such a bad idea, computational topology and geometry is thin on computable high- precision results, but it kind of goes against the grain of computer science.

It is not obvious that having that 3-dimensional model and being able to compute extremely complex relationships on the fly are the same problem. We can do the former, both as humans and on computers, but the latter is beyond both humans and computer science. We have a model, but our poorly calibrated interactions with it are constantly moderated by real-world feedback.

It is an open question as to whether or not mathematics will arrive at an elegant solution that out-performs the sub-optimal wetware algorithm.

J. Andrew Rogers