But, we don't need to be able to predict the thoughts of an AGI system
in detail, to be able to architect an AGI system that has thoughts...

I agree that predicting the thoughts of an AGI system in detail is
going to be pragmatically impossible ... but I don't agree that
predicting **which** AGI designs can lead to the emergent properties
corresponding to general intelligence, is pragmatically impossible to
do in an analytical and rational way ...

Similarly, I could engineer an artificial weather system displaying
hurricanes, whirlpools, or whatever phenomena you ask me for -- based
on my general understanding of the Navier-stokes equation.   Even
though I could not, then, predict the specific dynamics of those
hurricanes, whirlpools, etc.

We lack the equivalent of the Navier-stokes equation for thoughts.
But we can still arrive at reasonable analytic understandings of
appropriately constrained and formalised AGI designs, with the power
to achieve general intelligence...

ben g

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 1:55 AM, Terren Suydam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> I don't think the flaw you have identified matters to the main thrust of
> Richard's argument - and if you haven't summarized Richard's position
> precisely, you have summarized mine. :-]
>
> You're saying the flaw in that position is that prediction of complex
> networks might merely be a matter of computational difficulty, rather than
> fundamentally intractability. But any formally defined complex system is
> going to be computable in principle. We can always predict such a system with
> infinite computing power. That doesn't make it tractable, or open to
> understanding, because obviously real understanding can't be dependent
> infinite computing power.
>
> The question of fundamental intractability comes down to the degree with
> which we can make predictions about the global level from the local. And
> let's hope there's progress to be made there because each discovery will make
> our lives easier, to those of us who would try to understand something like
> the brain or the body or even just the cell. Or even just folding proteins!
>
> But it seems pretty obvious to me anyway that we will never be able to
> predict the weather with any precision without doing an awful lot of
> computation.
>
> And what is our mind but the weather in our brains?
>
> Terren

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be
first overcome " - Dr Samuel Johnson