--- On Mon, 6/30/08, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> but I don't agree that predicting **which** AGI designs can lead
> to the emergent properties corresponding to general intelligence,
> is pragmatically impossible to do in an analytical and rational way ...

OK, I grant you that you may be able to do that. I believe that we can be
extremely clever in this regard. An example of that is an implementation of a
Turing Machine within the Game of Life:

http://rendell-attic.org/gol/tm.htm

What a beautiful construction. But it's completely contrived. What you're
suggesting is equivalent, because your design is contrived by your own
intelligence. [I understand that within the Novamente idea is room for
non-deterministic (for practical purposes) behavior, so it doesn't suffer from
the usual complexity-inspired criticisms of purely logical systems.]

But whatever achievement you make, it's just one particular design that may
prove effective in some set of domains. And there's the rub - the fact that
your design is at least partially static will limit its applicability in some
set of domains. I make this argument more completely here:

http://www.machineslikeus.com/cms/news/design-bad-or-why-artificial-intelligence-needs-artificial-life
or http://tinyurl.com/3coavb

If you design a robot, you limit its degrees of freedom. And there will be
environments it cannot get around in. By contrast, if you have a design that is
capable of changing itself (even if that means from generation to generation),
then creative configurations can be discovered. The same basic idea works in
the mental arena as well. If you specify the mental machinery, there will be
environments it cannot get around in, so to speak. There will be important ways
in which it is unable to adapt. You are limiting your design by your own
intelligence, which though considerable, is no match for the creativity
manifest in a single biological cell.

Terren