Terren,

This is going too far. We can reconstruct to a considerable extent how humans think about problems - their conscious thoughts. Artists have been doing this reasonably well for hundreds of years. Science has so far avoided this, just as it avoided studying first the mind, with behaviourism, then consciousness,. The main reason cognitive science and psychology have avoided stream-of-thought studies (apart from v. odd scientists like Jerome Singer) is that conscious thought about problems is v. different from the highly ordered, rational, thinking of programmed computers which cog. sci. uses as its basic paradigm. In fact, human thinking is fundamentally different - the conscious self has major difficulty concentrating on any problem for any length of time - controlling the mind for more than a relatively few seconds, (as religious and humanistic thinkers have been telling us for thousands of years). Computers of course have perfect concentration forever. But that's because computers haven't had to deal with the type of problems that we do - the problematic problems where you don't, basically, know the answer, or how to find the answer, before you start.

For this kind of problem - which is actually what differentiates AGI from narrow AI - human thinking, creative as opposed to rational, stumbling, scatty, and freely associative, is actually IDEAL, for all its imperfections.

Yes, even if we extend our model of intelligence to include creative as well as rational thinking, it will still be an impoverished model, which may not include embodied thinking and perhaps other dimensions. But hey, we'll get there bit by bit, (just not, as we both agree, all at once in one five-year leap).

Terren:> My points about the pitfalls of theorizing about intelligence apply to any and all humans who would attempt it - meaning, it's not necessary to characterize AI folks in one way or another. There are any number of aspects of intelligence we could highlight that pose a challenge to orthodox models of intelligence, but the bigger point is that there are fundamental limits to the ability of an intelligence to observe itself, in exactly the same way that an eye cannot see itself.

Consciousness and intelligence are present in every possible act of contemplation, so it is impossible to gain a vantage point of intelligence from outside of it. And that's exactly what we pretend to do when we conceptualize it within an artificial construct. This is the principle conceit of AI, that we can understand intelligence in an objective way, and model it well enough to reproduce by design.

Terren