--- On Wed, 7/2/08, William Pearson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Evolution! I'm not saying your way can't work, just
> saying why I short
> cut where I do. Note a thing has a purpose if it is useful
> to apply
> the design stance* to it. There are two things to
> differentiate
> between, having a purpose and having some feedback of a
> purpose built
> in to the system.

I don't believe evolution has a purpose. See Hod Lipson's TED talk for an
intriguing experiment in which replication is an inevitable outcome for a
system of building blocks explicitly set up in a random fashion. In other
words, purpose is emergent and ultimately in the mind of the beholder.

See this article for an interesting take that increasing complexity is a
property of our laws of thermodynamics for non-equilibrium systems:

http://biology.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pbio.0050142&ct=1

In other words, Darwinian evolution is a special case of a more basic kind of
selection based on the laws of physics. This would deprive evolution of any
notion of purpose.

> It is the second I meant, I should have been more specific.
> That is to
> apply the intentional stance to something successfully, I
> think a
> sense of its own purpose is needed to be embedded in that
> entity (this
> may only be a very crude approximation to the purpose we
> might assign
> something looking from an evolution eye view).

Specifying a system's goals is limiting in the sense that we don't force the
agent to construct its own goals based on it own constructions. In other words,
this is just a different way of creating an ontology. It narrows the domain of
applicability. That may be exactly what you want to do, but for AGI
researchers, it is a mistake.

> Also your way we will end up with entities that may not be
> useful to
> us, which I think of as a negative for a long costly
> research program.
>
>  Will

Usefulness, again, is in the eye of the beholder. What appears not useful today
may be absolutely critical to an evolved descendant. This is a popular
explanation for how diversity emerges in nature, that a virus or bacteria does
some kind of horizontal transfer of its genes into a host genome, and that gene
becomes the basis for a future adaptation.

When William Burroughs said language is a virus, he may have been more correct
than he knew. :-]

Terren