David Clark wrote:
Richard:

I was one of the first people to help you get on the AGI list years ago and I have appreciated many of your emails but Ben’s comments below are right on the money.

Although I don’t agree with many of the technical points made by Ed Porter, he is obviously very intelligent (as are you) and has much interesting information and enthusiasm to bring to the table concerning AGI. I look forward to his emails even more than most of the other posters on this list.

I for one, very much appreciate the effort made by Ben in writing this email and I would appreciate more information on AGI and less chest thumping and ego in the emails.

Calling other people’s ideas stupid, ridiculous etc IS the same as calling other people the same and it hurts just as much.

David,

Several people have repeated the accusation that I am guilty of namecalling and engaging in personal attacks that are just as disgraceful as those that Ed Porter just delivered.

You repeat the accusation yourself when you say "Calling other people’s ideas stupid, ridiculous etc IS the same as calling other people the same."

David, in the spirit of scientific objectivity, I just did a search for the word "stupid" in all of the 811 messages that I have ever posted to the AGI list.

There were 58 matches, and I just laboriously analyzed every one of them.

Of the 58 total, 41 were completely neutral references to some abstract thing that was 'stupid', or to phrases like 'stupidly simple', with no bearing on anything that a person on the list said (for example I once said "what if a stupid AI hacker were to...").

On 2 occasions I responded to Ed Porter by denying his accusations, and the word was not used against him.

On one occasion I quoted Ed Porter saying to me "Despite your statement to the contrary --- despite your "FURY" --- I did get your point. Not everybody beside Richard Loosemore is stupid." This was intented to be a mild insult directed at me, although it is kind of confused (he meant to say "intelligent", so I suspect that this was a Freudian slip).

On 12 occasions the word was used by someone else, and I just quoted it. The other person was not directing the word at me.

On one occasion I used the word to refer, in the abstract, to some people on the SL4 list who had speculated that I may have fabricated my degree qualifications. This was NOT directed at the person I was talking to, and it was fully justified by the estraordinary behavior of the people involved. Here is the exact quote: "(Sorry for the plug, but you know the kind of stupid nonsense I have had to take from some unmentionable amateurs on these lists who attack arguments by making libelous accusations about a person's qualifications and credentials)".

On one occasion I deliverd an indirect insult by saying that "[The mathematical terms] "Rings" and "Models" are appropriated terms, but the mathematicians involved would never be so stupid as to confuse them with the real things. Marcus Hutter and yourself are doing precisely that." I did not intend the rudeness, it slipped out as an accident of the way I was phrasing my thoughts, and when Ben pointed out that this was rude, I immediately accepted the blame and apologized with these words: "You got me bang to rights there guv'nor: I apologize for the "s" word. Please re-read, with the word "naive" substituted instead."

--------------------------

So it seems that when we look at the evidence for me using this one word "stupid" to criticize other people's ideas, there was only one occasion. And even then it was just an accident of phrasing and it was implied, not direct. And, to top it all, I immediately apologized for the error.

I have just done a lot of work to discover these statistics, and I think it would be fair to say that there is not a shred of evidence that I am in the habit of accusing anyone of being stupid, or even that I use the word 'stupid' to describe their ideas.

What do you suppose would happen if we went and looked to see how many times I call other people's ideas "ridiculous"?

Here you are: 31 matches. Most of them neutral comments like "ridiculously small", except for three that were pretty mild comments and one serious argument:

(1) "... they then produce ridiculous definitions, like Hutter's...".

(2) "I was really trying to make the point that a statement like "The singularity WILL end the human race" is completely ridiculous."

(3) "That is just one example of how he pulls conclusions out of thin air. The first time I read this paper I found the whole thing too ridiculous to read after the first few times this happened."

(4) One use of 'ridiculous' to respond to a damning insult and a slew of false criticisms from Josh Hall - he had said "I find your argument quotidian and lacking in depth...". Although I should not have been so offended, I was. I responded to this insult by saying "You said things about complex systems that were, quite frankly, ridiculous: Turing- machine equivalence, for example, has nothing to do with this.".

So in a total of 811 posts there were only five places where I used the word 'stupid' or the word 'ridiculous'. One was an accident that I immediately apologized for. Two uses of 'ridiculous' were extremely mild, not directed at the person I was talking to, and both of them were pretty reasonable given the topic. One other use of 'ridiculous' was completely justificable (item 2 above).

There was just one time when I used the word 'ridiculous' in a direct and angry attack on another person's statements, and that was after the other person had suddenly come out with a deliberate insult.

Do you feel that this level of abusive behavior on my part justifies your comment that "Calling other people’s ideas stupid, ridiculous etc IS the same as calling other people the same."? Bear in mind that in the course of yesterday evening Ed Porter threw at me a total of 14 personal insults, all of them of a type that I have never, ever used.

Do you really, genuinely believe that when I say something like "That is just one example of how he pulls conclusions out of thin air. The first time I read this paper I found the whole thing too ridiculous to read after the first few times this happened", this behavior of mine is just as disgraceful as comments directed straight at my face like "It is a shame your intelligence is not freed from the childishness, and neediness, and dishonesty of your ego", and "if you are at all concerned with honesty and truth --- rather than personal pomposity ..."?

Richard Loosemore

P.S. If you want me to give you a copy of all the posts I have written, so you can analyze them for other words, please contact me off list and I will send them to you.