Your technical analysis of the word "stupid" and others is impressive but
that doesn't negate the impression that you talk down to not only the ideas
of others but to them as well.  The actual word "stupid" in this context is
not the important thing as you have a very sophisticated way of writing,
even for this list.

I am simply saying that you very often write quite aggressively about others
and their ideas and that is simply NOT helpful.

You have made many very insightful and good posts to this list and I read
almost every one of them BUT the tone of your emails often distracts from
your message.

Please don't rebut this email as I am only expressing my opinion and I won't
start a technical word fight with you on this point.

My point is that if an email wasn't meant to be helpful to the thread or
person you are replying to, then don't reply.  I see no point in people
trying to score points or be excessively negative.

You seem to have concentrated on the "complex" issue and I am not convinced
at all that a) there is a problem or b) that other issues aren't a lot more
important.  You can't provide "proof" that this complexity problem will stop
the progress of an AGI and of course I can't "prove" it won't.  I don't
believe that the cog science field that you love has any great use in
creating an AGI and you think it will be a central theme.  All of the people
on this list have many different ideas about AGI but only some say things
like "you're wrong", "read more books", etc.  I don't agree with you but I
just don't know if you are right or wrong.

There are many very smart people on this list and if posts were usually
posted to be helpful, rather than for other reasons, the dialogue would be
much better.

David Clark

PS Richard, you are not the worse person for talking down to others on this
list and neither is Ed Porter :)
PPS I continue to read and enjoy most of your emails.