Ah.  An excellent distinction . . . .    Thank you.  Very helpful.

Would it then be accurate to say    SCIENCE = LEARNING + TRANSMISSION    ?

Or, how about,    SCIENCE = GROUP LEARNING    ?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Russell Wallace" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2008 6:27 PM
Subject: **SPAM** Re: [agi] If your AGI can't learn to play chess it is no AGI

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 11:14 PM, Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Anyone else want to take up the issue of whether there is a distinction
between competent scientific research and competent learning (whether or not
both are being done by a machine) and, if so, what that distinction is?

Science is about public knowledge. I can learn from personal
experience, but it's only science if I publish my results in such a
way that other people can repeat them.