Richard,

>Everything you say from this point on seems to be predicated on the idea that
>a person can *choose* to define it any way they want

There are some good-to-stick-with rules for definitions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definition#Rules_for_definition_by_genus_and_differentia
but (even though it's not desirable) in some cases it's IMO ok for
researchers to use a bit different definitions. If you can give us the
*ultimate* definition of consciousness then I would certainly be
interested. I promise I'll not ask for the ultimate cross-domain
definition of every single word used in that definition ;-)

Regards,
Jiri