On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 8:42 PM, Philip Hunt <cabala...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> 2008/12/20 Ben Goertzel <b...@goertzel.org>:
> >
> > I.e., I doubt one needs serious fluid dynamics in one's simulation ... I
> > doubt one needs bodies with detailed internal musculature ... but I think
> > one does need basic Newtonian physics and the ability to use tools, break
> > things in half (but not necessarily realistic cracking behavior), balance
> > things and carry them and stack them and push them together Lego-like and
> so
> > forth...
>
> "Needs" for what purpose? I can see three uses for a virtual world:
>
> 1. to mimic the real world accurately enough that the AI can use the
> virtual world instead, and by using it become proficient in dealing
> with the real world, because it is cheaper than a real world.
> Obviously to program a virtual world this real is a big up-front
> investment, but once the investment is made, such a world may well be
> cheaper and easier to use than our real one.

I think this will come along as a side-effect of achieving the other goals,
to some extent.  But it's not my main goal, no.

> 2. to provide a useful bridge between humans and the AGI, i.e. the
> virtual world will be similar enough to the real world that humans
> will have a common frame of reference with the AGI.

Yes...
to allow the AGI to develop progressively greater intelligence
in a manner that humans can easily comprehend, so that we can
easily participate and encourage its growth (via teaching and via
code changes, knowledge entry, etc.)

> 3. to provide a "toy domain" for the AI to think about and become
> proficient in.

Not just to become proficient in the domain, but become proficient
in general humanlike cognitive processes.

The point of a preschool is that it's designed to present all important
adult human cognitive processes in simplified forms.

> (Of course there's no reason why a toy domain needs to
> be anything like a virtual world, it could for example be a "software
> modality" that can see/understand source code as easily and fluently
> as humans interprete visual input.)
>
> AIUI you're mostly thinking in terms of 2 or 3. Fair comment?
>
> --
> Philip Hunt, <cabala...@googlemail.com>

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
b...@goertzel.org

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
-- Groucho Marx