On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 8:01 AM, Derek Zahn <derekz...@msn.com> wrote:

>  Ben:
>
> > Right.  My intuition is that we don't need to simulate the dynamics
> > of fluids, powders and the like in our virtual world to make it adequate
> > for teaching AGIs humanlike, human-level AGI.  But this could be
> > wrong.
>
> I suppose it depends on what kids actually learn when making cakes,
> skipping rocks, and making a mess with play-dough.  Some might say that if
> they get conservation of mass and newton's law then they skipped all the
> useless stuff!

OK, but those "some" probably don't include any preschool teachers or
educational theorists.

That hypothesis is completely at odds with my own intuition from having
raised 3 kids and spent probably hundreds of hours helping out in daycare
centers, preschools, kindergartens, etc.

Apart from naive physics, which is rather well-demonstrated not to be
derived in the human mind/brain from basic physical principles, there is a
lot of learning about planning, scheduling, building, cooperating ...
basically, all the stuff mentioned in our AGI Preschool paper.

Yes, you can just take a "robo-Cyc" type approach and try to abstract, on
your own, what is learned from preschool activities and code it into the AI:
code in Newton's laws, axiomatic naive physics, planning algorithms, etc.
My strong prediction is you'll get a brittle AI system that can at best be
tuned into adequate functionality in some rather narrow contexts.

> But in the case where we are trying to roughly follow stages of human
> development with goals of producing human-like linguistic and reasoning
> capabilities, I very much fear that any significant simplification of the
> universe will provide an insufficient basis for the large sensory concept
> set underlying language and analogical reasoning (both gross and fine).
> Literally, I think you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  But, as
> you say, this could be wrong.

Sure... that can't be disproven right now, of course.

We plan to expand the paper into a journal paper where we argue against this
obvious objection more carefully -- basically arguing why the virtual-world
setting provides enough detail to support the learning of the critical
cognitive subcomponents of human intelligence.  But, as with anything in
AGI, even the best-reasoned paper can't convince a skeptic.

> It's really the only critique I have of the AGI preschool idea, which I do
> like because we can all relate to it very easily.  At any rate, if it turns
> out to be a valid criticism the symptom will be that an insufficiently rich
> set of concepts will develop to support the range of capabilities needed and
> at that point the simulations can be adjusted to be more complete and
> realistic and provide more human sensory modalities.  I guess it will be
> disappointing if building an adequate virtual world turns out to be as
> difficult and expensive as building high quality robots -- but at least it's
> easier to clean up after cake-baking.

Well, it's completely obvious to me, based on my knowledge of virtual worlds
and robotics, that building a high quality virtual world is orders of
magnitude easier than making a workable humanoid robot.

*So* much $$ has been spent on humanoid robotics before, by large, rich and
competent companies, and they still suck.    It's just a very hard problem,
with a lot of very hard subproblems, and it will take a while to get worked
through.

On the other hand, making a virtual world such as I envision, is more than a
spare-time project, but not more than the project of making a single
high-quality video game.  It's something that any one of these big Japanese
companies could do with a tiny fraction of their robotics budgets.  The
issue is a lack of perceived cool value and a lack of motivation.

Ben